Saturday 29 March 2014

Buying a green coloured car- here is why...

This is about buying a green car.  Its not a cool colour, so somebody who is boring will have not thrashed it and may well have originally been purchased by an elderly person who keeps the car in a garage.

I owned a green armoured vehicle.
I sold it for more than I paid.


Completely by accident, I bought a green coloured Saxo in 2006.
It was the cheapest VTS around and had several things replaced on it, such as head gasket, gearbox etc.

Apart from a radiator leak it gave no issues.

I didn't think about the colour at all.

That car became more and more of a track day machine and eventually ended up being worth more in parts than as a whole car, so was broken for parts.

I then made a mistake and bought a red MX5.  It was riddled with issues and made from rust.  It had clearly passed its previous MOT with help from the garage that put it through, with no catalytic converter and some worn bushes.

Time to scrap it when it got to MOT time.

I made another mistake.  A blue BMW.  Again it had a 'fake' MOT as the caliper setup one side was different to the other due to crash damage, resulting in the pads hanging off the back of the disc.  The eventually meant binding of the brakes to the disc.  It ran out of fuel at quarter of a tank.  The light height adjust was broken.  The rear suspension had the wrong springs on the rear, leaked water and the door seals had gone, so the inside misted up.  I sold the car on with the faults declared and the 5 threatening people buying it who wanted a fast test drive must have done something special as the police popped round to ask about the car two weeks later as it had been involved in a crime.

Then I looked for a Passat TDI.  Around £2000 (much cheaper for a petrol model) gets you a high milage model.  Having missed out on four cars which were on ebay auctions, I then tried with dealers.  This didn't work out either.  Then on Gumtree I found a GREEN one for £850.

Did the test drive, asked if there were any issues; just the central locking.  So I drove the guy back to his house.  On the way, I said there was nothing I could do now, having paid for the car... so whats really wrong with it.
"Nothing"- he said.
Two months on and it is still going strong, including a trip up to Manchester and back.
I did change the oil, oil filter, air filter and I have the fuel filter still to go.  The clutch will go at some point but aside from that, it is fine.

It was owned by this guy's mum.  Its boring.  The paintwork and panels are not perfect but nothing that stands out.  So dull, it doesn't warrant a picture.

If you want to get from A to B- buy a green car.


2 comments:

  1. From now on, I shall only buy things that are green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure it is not fashionable and you should be fine!

    ReplyDelete